Aiming for a million :P

Thursday, March 31, 2011

I used to be a Samsung fan...

I just thought I'd add this tidbit, as I found it quite disturbing. Did anyone there actually think putting a keylogger in netbooks was a good idea!?

Samsung responds to installation of keylogger on its laptop computers

Security Strategies Alert By M. E. Kabay and Mohamed Hassan Mohamed Hassan, Network World
March 30, 2011 11:15 AM ET
 
The long view of security strategies for your network.

In the first part of this two-part report, MSIA 2009 graduate Mohamed Hassan told of discovering a keylogger on two different models of Samsung portable computers. Today he continues the story. Everything that follows is Mr Hassan's own work with minor edits.
* * *
On March 1, 2011, I called and logged incident 2101163379 with Samsung Support (SS). First, as Sony BMG did six years ago, the SS personnel denied the presence of such software on its laptops. After having been informed of the two models where the software was found and the location, SS changed its story by referring the author to Microsoft since "all Samsung did was to manufacture the hardware." When told that did not make sense, SS personnel relented and escalated the incident to one of the support supervisors.
The supervisor who spoke with me was not sure how this software ended up in the new laptop thus put me on hold. He confirmed that yes, Samsung did knowingly put this software on the laptop to, as he put it, "monitor the performance of the machine and to find out how it is being used."
In other words, Samsung wanted to gather usage data without obtaining consent from laptop owners.
While in the Sony BMG security incident described in the first article in this pair one had to buy and install the CD on one's computer, Samsung has gone one step further by actually preinstalling the monitoring software on its brand laptops. This is a déjà vu security incident with far reaching potential consequences. In the words of the of former FTC chairman Deborah Platt Majoras, "Installations of secret software that create security risks are intrusive and unlawful." (FTC, 2007).
Samsung's conduct may be illegal; even if it is eventually ruled legal by the courts, the issue has legal, ethical, and privacy implications for both the businesses and individuals who may purchase and use Samsung laptops. Samsung could also be liable should the vast amount of information collected through StarLogger fall into the wrong hands. 

[Mich Kabay adds:]
We contacted three public relations officers for Samsung for comment about this issue and gave them a week to send us their comments. No one from the company replied.
Good luck, Samsung! We see a class-action lawsuit in your future….


 Have fun getting spied upon by Big Bro... eh... I mean Samsung!

*crosses Samsung off list to buy crap from*

Preinstalling spyware on brand new hardware. Go and die in a ditch please. I value my privacy (as much as you can get nowadays anyway). These kind of asspulls really piss me of in a royal manner. You pay them buckets of money for already overpriced merchandise and you still get taken out back and given the proverbial %#^%&$&. (Yes, that was censored for the good of everyone...).


40 comments:

cool_cicler said...

Very nice you showed me this. Great topics over all in your blog. Will follow. Cheers!

Minecraftblogger said...

.. Is this true? Damn O__O

MKD said...

wow thats new.

Half Coct said...

As much as this sucks I'll still buy Samsung hardware to build my machines. I don't and won't be buying prebuilt machines from anyone, and if I have to go with a laptop that cannot be hand built, I'll be going for an ASUS. hopefully ASUS can be trusted still. This news kind of makes you think as to how many other companies have been spying on users and for how long. BTW, be sure to log out of your Gmail when you Google search. Just sayin'.

~H. Coct

Nope said...

Gosh why would they do that? I never saw this so I'm glad you posted this, no more Samsung.

Fishy Corporation said...

Had no idea samsung did this, nice news will follow :)

Donal said...

That's actually disgraceful...I would never buy a samsung laptop but would still buy their TV's and stuff...

Lemmiwinks said...

great post. following you

Unknown said...

Crap, I've got Sasmung laptop. I hope that mine isn't bundled with keylogger ;/

Blog Hunt said...

That's why I never get samsung :)

oops.i.pood said...

wow, how did they ever think someone wouldn't notice, and that people wouldn't be really upset about it. thanks for letting me know :s

Wayward Disposition said...

I've always thought samsung had something fishy up their sleeves. Those crooks.

said...

AWESOME. I have a Samsung phone. How great.

Wilco said...

more into apple tho! thanks for sharing

Kevings said...

Never had Sansung, and now you just underlined why im never getting one either

Fix PC Games Admin said...

still can't believe that .. anyway samsung phones are great

TheLanderson27 said...

crazy!

Leizer said...

well i still like their phones

Wrexial said...

Should be illegal....invasion of privacy and all that.

Drej said...

Reminds me of Sony's rootkits.

Broccoli said...

That has to be illegal, it's bullsh*t that is isn't illegal. As Wrexial said "invasion of privacy". Damn you Samsung....
Thanks for posting this article, won't be buying samsung, not that I ever really did besides my phone..

David said...

I didn't know about this, I definitely won't be buying anything from them.

Big Unicorn said...

Wow totally lame!

bigunicorn.blogspot.com

Frag N Bag said...

Excellent blog topic! Very useful. Following you.

Rasslin' and MMA said...

I dont see how theyre getting out of a lawsuit. Im never using the preinstalled software on a pc again, thats for sure.

Sexy said...

This is outrageous and they should get the socks sued off of them. Great info - w/b following

SR said...

My buddy just got a Samsung laptop recently too. I'm gonna bring this up when I see him tomorrow. Really shady stuff coming from that company.

Checkered Little Shoe said...

Not my beloved Samsung...I guess they all go a tad insane...

Anonymous said...

Here's to hoping other companies aren't doing the same and getting away with it...

Unknown said...

nice post man!

Jordan said...

Wow, really? Keyloggers? Come on...

Malkavian said...

Damn man, i havent heard of samsung heard the one for Sony but yeah FUCK EM BRO. Quick question if i Format my Computer wouldnt that fix the spyware kill it i mean??

Tommy said...

I have a 25€ worth samsung x)

But it looks good so it's okay. Black classy and all

Prowler said...

well I love my Samsung televisions, the quality in Dynamic Mode is absolutely unparalleled, as far as keyloggers go I think I'll pass

BetterButterScotch said...

... wow. I'm really glad I don't have anything samsung, and I'm proud I won't be starting now.

Trapper said...

Oh why Samsung! boooooooooo Still love your TVs though..

Not a Troll said...

Wow. I'm sharing this with my friends. Adding another boycott to my list.

Canon said...

sheesh, good to know. I've always been a fan of Asus though, thank god

adhoc said...

Looks like I have to add Samsung to the same list that Sony headlines.

shinobi_tns said...

samsung phones are trash

Post a Comment